Friday 6 January 2012

Bag

Its my eldest daughters birthday next week so I decided to make her a tote bag. I bought an off cut of oilcloth from Laura Ashley and used some heavy gingham fabric that I have had for some time to line it. I didn't have a pattern and so copied a canvas bag that someone had given me. 


I made pockets to add to the lining


Made the box shape corners for the base so the bag can stand up



Making the lining and outer bag both the same, I then folded in the top edge and held them in place with paper clips so as not to make holes in the oil cloth with pins


I made long straps so the bag can be carried on the shoulder and sewed them between the inner and outer bag (I am not so happy with the straps as they didn't sew as neatly as I had hoped)


But I was pretty pleased with the overall finished bag


9 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

You are so clever without a pattern!
Bravo x

corners of my life said...

. . . and pockets too?
Great job

Val said...

The cutest bag ever!!! I haven't been around much due to health issues but am trying to catch up. Hope you are doing well.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Amazing...without a pattern, but with a creative mind, some gorgeous fabric, and your sewing machine, you made the perfect gift. Too bad you don't have an Etsy shop. You could probably sell many of those bags. She will be happy that she has a birthday.

Needled Mom said...

It looks so pretty!!!!

amy said...

I love the fabric combination!

Annabelle said...

Love the bag - lucky girl xxx

Vashti said...

ok mum now i know what im getting!!! hahahah! its lovely welldone and thank you! love you. xxx

Unknown said...

Wow. No pattern!