Saturday 21 August 2010

African Fabric

While away in South Africa I bought some fabric, they have beautifully designed fabric over there. The first photo is of Shwe Shwe I have added a link to a blog which shows the history of this fabric. It is stiff to feel and requires soaking in salk water before use. I would have liked to have brought back lots of pieces, they look lovely made up into quilts.
The second fabric is called Khanga. Khangas originate on the East African coast, they are found throughout the region and contribute to the richness of the Swahili culture. They are a vibrant expression of style, as well as a medium for conveying messages in numerous cultural and social settings.

Shwe Shwe
Khanga




3 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

What interesting posts! I never heard of this fabric. I wonder if they ever sell it in the states? I am excited to see what you do with it since you seem to create beauty with whatever fabric you get your hands on. Hope you share what you make.

annabelle said...

Robert Kauffman 'Native Arts' range is a similar thing. Not the original though and altogether less exciting buying without going to S.A. !

lindsey said...

Thanks Anabelle, I will have a look