Friday 31 October 2008

Chutney


I have been making my first batch of chutney for 2008. This is my new preserving pan that my friend Joy bought me when we moved house. I have made Cranberry & Pear Chutney and Hot Aubergine Chutney.

Hot Aubergine Chutney
2lbs Aubergines, 3tbl salt, 6oz dark brown sugar
12fl oz white wine vinegar, 30z sultanas,
1tbl tomato puree, 5 garlic cloves, 1lb onions,
1tbl cayenne pepper, 3 red chillies
1. Slice aubergines, sprinkle with salt and leave for 3 hrs, rinse and dry
2. Put sugar, vinegar, raisins, tomato puree in pan, mix.
3.Finely chop onions & chillies add to other ingredients.
4. Heat gently, stirring until sugar is dissolved, simmer until thickened.
5. Pour into jars. (about 3lbs)












2 comments:

Val said...

Oh this looks so good. I have never made this. You did great! Thanks for sharing.

Needled Mom said...

That chutney looks and sounds really good. Chutney is something that we have really enjoyed after being introduced to it when we lived in Epsom.

The snow looks so "wintery." Can it possibly mean a long winter ahead for you????

The cousins look as though they are having fun. I love the photo of the big roll with the kids. Too cute.